Powered By Blogger

Friday 29 May 2015

OP shopping ... Again!  Oh and Coffee!



As a girl I spent many summers in my Mothers home town of Goulburn.  I think part of my soul still belongs there though all my loved ones have either passed on or left the area.

Back in the day my maternal grandmother went to the Salvation Army Women's Home League every week. All the ladies would come laden with some kind of food they'd baked, to share.  From memory, these would have been the best morning teas I have ever had the pleasure of partaking.  Those Salvo women knew how to cook! 

On Tuesday this week our May OP Shop Sampler took place .... 
The trip took in a number of OP shops in the Upper Ross area.  (Do they still call it the Upper Ross?)  Oh well, old habits die hard!

We rifled through the stands at the Adra OP Shop located close to the Ross Hotel and scoured the St Vinnies on Golloglys Lane... picking up a skirt for my daughter, some ribbon for my gift baskets, a tiny dish (I like collecting these for things like soy sauce and the like) and my best find - Two little salt and pepper shakers still in their packaging, never opened, and looking like new.   
  
Both of these OP shops are well worth a visit, they are clean, bright and have lots to offer. 

The highlight of the morning for me, was enjoying a great Cappuccino, complete with Barista styling, at the Riverway Salvation Army Coffee Shop on Beck Drive, Condon.  



Their Community Café is open every Monday and Tuesday between 9.30am to 12.30pm.  They provide a scrumptious morning tea and there are racks of second hand clothing to browse with all items priced at $2.  On Tuesday, they had free bread and oranges for those who needed some ... I took home two oranges for my citrus loving daughter.  

I'm still thinking about how much I liked being there.. After all these years they still have it!  I felt a little like how I used to feel when I went along with my Grandma to her Home League group!  

There is a genuine warmth about the place and the people working there are hard working, kind and industrious.  I also liked the fact that it is a church and its a buzz on a weekday morning with all kinds of life happening.

Our group was treated so well and I am planning on a return visit... soon !
 

The Concierge Suggests ... Community Café, Riverway Salvos 49 - 61 Beck Drive Condon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment